Pages

Friday, December 7, 2007

The Most Awesomest Pumpkin Pie!

Here's the recipe for my pumpkin pie that was soooo good, I made four of them in the last month, just because. Well, it was Thanksgiving, and we did celebrate with three, yes three, dinners, but I would make this pie any month of the year now. I just finished the last bite of the last pie last night, and I am already itching to make another one.

I follow the basic recipe from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything (my faaaaaaavorite cookbook, everything comes out good from that book). You know, classic pumpkin pie -- with pre-baked crust, eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, sugar. BUT, and this is the key here, I substituted Silk Pumpkin Spice Soy Milk for the milk ingredient. OH MY GOODNESS... delicious, moist, smooth pie that made me happy happy happy. I used a vegan frozen crust from Whole Foods, and voila! Finally a pumpkin pie that is dairy-free and easy on the tummy. I LOVE IT!

I must make another batch before the seasonal soy milk disappears from the shelves. I might just make ten pies and freeze them, one for each coming month of the year until the Silk is available again!

1 comment:

mb said...

or can the soy milk be frozen??

i never congratulated you, mama!! i can't wait to hear about how this pregnancy is feelings.

and thank you for the most beautiful, precious book...i cherish it, always will.

much love
m