Pages

Friday, March 14, 2008

11

This is not a gripe, complaint, brag or boast. It's just a fact that I am trying to process.

For the first time in my life, I am concerned with not gaining weight. I gained healthy, normal amounts with both of my kids--26 and 24 pounds, respectively. Starting this pregnancy at the weight I ended the last one (having actively worked off then passively put back on the same stubborn 30), I expected to tip over 200 for the first time in my life. No big deal, just my expectation.

I never expected to be at 36 weeks with only 11 extra pounds on my body. Actually, on my belly. It doesn't seem to have landed anywhere else. Did my metabolism magically speed up when I got pregnant at 35? Or is this baby growing so voraciously that it is sucking all the nutrition out of everything that enters my mouth?

I think about all those women in the 1950s that were told to keep their weight gain to no more than 15 pounds. They did that by smoking and drinking a glass of wine every night. At least I'm not doing that. Seriously, not even the wine.

The baby is growing fine, my midwives aren't worried, so I guess I shouldn't be either. But hey, I'm pregnant. I'm supposed to worry and obsess and be a loony basket-case, right? No?

Oh. Okay. I think I'll go relax with a glass of soy milk and a doughnut.

2 comments:

Leigh Steele said...

I second the donut option!!
Ya know, you are right: we are allowed to obsess. I am always astounded at the lucky women like you who don't gain too much. I gained 50 and 60 pounds with each girl - YIKES! (Yeah, there were alot of donuts). But I think our bodies and our babies our wise. We are healthy, both of us, all of us. That's what matters.
Now, allow yourself 10 minutes to obsess and then move on. :)

Jen said...

You know, there are real advantages to never ever stepping on the scale :) You know whether you've been eating a healthy diet or not. I'm sure you have. Your body knows what it needs. I say revel in the lack of excess weight - and don't get on the scale again! You are a gorgeous woman and you are looking wonderful. See you tomorrow! :)