Pages

Monday, June 4, 2007

Venice Beach

We spent the day on Venice Beach today. The weather was about 70 degrees. I'm so glad I brought sweaters from home b/c we used them! The sky was overcast with a thick marine layer near the coast. Inland, the air was clear, hardly a hint of smog over LA. The girls went crazy running around in the sand, digging with rocks and finding shells. We spent some time chasing waves--my little Aquarius was so enamoured with the ocean that the chill of the water didn't even bother her.

After brushing off the sand and changing clothes, we headed over to the Boardwalk and strolled down Venice Pier. I told my family stories about how my dad used to spend his afternoons fishing off that pier when he was a kid. We watched surfers and wakeboarders roll around in the breakers. The girls had gotten their sweaters wet, so hubby and I gave them ours. One guy walking towards us stopped in his tracks, pointed at my little one and cried out, "She looks like E.T.!" We all got a great laugh out of that!

Without my sweater I was freezing cold. I thought of my friends at home in Phoenix and wished some of the coolness eastward. Did you feel it?

We stopped in Starbucks one block from the beach. E, in all of her friendliness, spotted the hottest guy in the coffee shop and flirted with him in her four-year-old way.

A friend from my old job met us at the beach for a quick rendez-vous, and we had dinner with another friend and her boyfriend. She's expecting a baby in August and they had all kinds of questions for me. I will miss that birth but another close friend will be there and they promise to call me right away.

It's hard to be back home in California and get such small amounts of time with friends and family. We passed by our old house and it set my older daughter off weeping. She still has memories of it. What a bittersweet trip. I both love and miss LA, yet some things quickly remind me of why I don't miss it all that much.

No comments: