Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Litterbug

I am not a confrontational person.

My husband would disagree with that, but in general, I do not like getting into face-to-face arguments or debates. I do much better at proving my point on paper than in person. I tend to withhold comments, often lacking the "right" witty thing to say in retort or as a snide aside.

Today I saw something that struck me so fiercely I was moved to "speak."

I waiting in a left turn lane to enter the parking lot of the library so I could return a book. The man driving the blue Kia in front of me lowered his window and tossed a couple of used paper napkins out the window. Now, being a little bit of a conservationist (or wishing that I really was), I was annoyed, aggravated and incensed at this man's disregard for the planet. We both turned into the parking lot and I struggled with the urge to stop him and say something, versus the nervous fear of confronting him. The fear won, I entered the library, put my book in the slot and thought that if I passed him outside I would say something cutting and witty.

He was too quick for me, and had entered through another door.

Disappointed, I went back to my van. I pulled out of my parking space and looked at his car, debating on the idea of leaving a note (much easier than making eye contact). Then I noticed it.

An empty fast-food bag shoved under his little car.

I pulled into the next parking space, whipped out my pen and notepad from my purse, shakingly scribbled a note, got out of my car, grabbed that Taco Bell bag, and put the note and the bag under his windshield wiper.

That ought to teach him.

Except my note was nasty. I wrote, "Do you think this world is your trash can? Next time put your trash in the bin, you lazy, filthy slob."

Am I a bad person? No really, am I?

I think my karma is tarnished with this one.

3 comments:

Doulala said...

I love that you did that!

mb said...

no tarnished karma. it was you you delivered his karma to him.

once when i was pregnant with Mia, I was crossing Silver Lake Blvd at the 7-11 and the dude in the car at the light tossed his cigarette out the window just as I was approaching the front of his car. I was FUMING. I think it was the pregnancy hormones, because I turned to his car, walked to the driver window, bent down and picked up his still burning smoke and tossed back in his car throw the driver-side window. And continued on my way.

i was actually quite pleased with myself. though in shock i did it. but that incident gave me the nerve to speak up (gently, most of the time) when I see people treat Earth as a freaking garbage can.

good for you michelle. people need to be told these things. it's our job.

mb

Melinda said...

I say good for you. More people need to be called on it when they do something stupid and thoughtless.