Pages

Monday, January 28, 2008

Lucky me!

Hubby's grandmother is staying with us this week. It makes me so happy to have her here. She used to live with us when I was working full-time, she took care of my kids and was a huge help around the house. I have really missed her presence, stories and teaching since we moved here.

We share so many common interests, despite the nearly 50 year gap between us. She believes in parenting much the same way I do, she teaches me how to cook the Mexican foods my mother never did, she gently corrects my Spanish, and she shows me sewing techniques that I always thought were too hard to bother with.

My husband and his mom get tired of her stories and the "embellishments" she adds to the retelling of family lore, but it never gets old to me. She may walk slowly, not see very well anymore and forget things, but she has so much energy and patience to spare. I treasure her like she is my own grandmother. The plan is that she will come back and be with us a while when this new baby is born. She is always very busy with her grandchildren--new ones are born every year, numbering more than forty in grands and greats. But she loves my kids with a special, tender love that makes us feel first in her heart (not that it matters, but it does, KWIM?).

Oh, and we are eating sopes tonight. YUM.

Did I tell you that I'm lucky?!

2 comments:

Doulala said...

You are lucky! This is exactly what you need.

Jen said...

How lucky for you to have this wonderful woman in your life, and how lucky for the kids to get to spend so much time with their grandmother. That's a rarity these days.