Pages

Monday, October 29, 2007

Synonyms we regret

A car-ride conversation with my second-grader:

Second-grader: [In a tough voice] "Don't put the boot in my glute! [pause] Mom, what is a glute?"
Me: "Well, it's another word for butt-cheek."
SG: [Cracking up] "Butt-cheek?"
Me: "Um, yeah. It's short for gluteus maxiumus, which is Latin for butt."
SG: "So what's the dance word for glute?"
Me: "Booty."
SG: "Hip-hop?"
Me: [Giggling] "I think it's trunk."
SG: "Rock?"
Me: [Sighing] "Ohcomeonnow!"
SG: "What IS it?"
Me: "Well, it's, um, ass, but that's a grown-up word and you shouldn't use it!"
Preschooler: "Mom, what's an ASS?"
Me: "It's a butt, but don't use that word!"
SG: [Laughing loudly] "Okay mom, we won't say ASS! [Tough voice again] Don't put the boot in my glute! Don't put the boot in my glute! Ha ha! GLUTE! HAHA!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ass. Ass. Ass. Ass. Ass. Ass. Ass. Ass. Ass. Ass. Ass. Ass. Ass. I am a grown up, so I can say ass! Ass. Ass. Ass. Ass. Ass. Ass.

Michelle said...

I have to say, I'm with Karen. I love when I'm in the car alone and can yell out ANY word I please!

Anonymous said...

What?!?!? We have to be alone when we say ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass?